Friday, June 1, 2018

Day 22: Interior Cabinets and Hatch Part I

This was a very productive day!! Went to Home Depot and got another 4'x8' sheet of 1/2" plywood to start the hatch and to build a frame for the interior cabinets. I got about 5 hours of busywork done while Dan was at work since I had today off.

I drew out the dimensions and had a 1" frame. Cut it all out and found out that it wasn't going to work due to our light placement. This is the second time I've messed up or broken the cabinet frame and was basically fed up with it.


Since I didn't want to figure out the frame business again, I took 20 minutes to make another set of sliding doors in the same three-sided aluminum that I used in the galley for the cabinets.
I used the 1/8" plywood so the doors would slide freely past each other. It's very thin wood and I'm expecting it to warp. I'm going to coat it in the sealant and press it while it dries in hopes it hardens flat. Who knows what's going to happen. All I care about right now is that I have cabinets. :)


I used the drill press to pre-drill holes into the angle iron and the three-sided aluminum piece. The reason I used the drill press was because I was using the hand held drill and managed to snap the drill bit in half!


I used 1/2" screws to attach the three-sided aluminum on top of the angle iron and into the shelf and did the same into the roof with just the three-sided piece. Then used the 1" spade bit to drill holes so we can slide the doors open and closed.


After the cabinet business was done it was time to move on. (I still have to seal it, but I was losing focus so decided to move to a different part of the project...the dreaded hatch.)

We've been researching hatch stuff for what feels like forever and it's still a daunting task. The folks at Vintage Technologies were incredibly helpful sourcing everything I needed to finish the TD and getting it sent to me ASAP. (Everything was at my front door within 5 days and shipping was reasonable.) I clamped the wood up against the side of the TD and drew the first line to begin my template. I then built a little tool and drilled a hole in it 1 1/2" down and slid it along the top of my cut with a pencil in the hole so my template rib was 1 1/2" thick. The photo shows what I built.. Hard to explain I guess.


Once I got the template rib cut out with the jigsaw I clamped it to the galley wall and did a bit of sanding to make sure it was flush with the wall. Then traced it 5 times (for a total of 6 ribs).


We got all the ribs cut out with the jigsaw. (Using the router would have been impossible with the way the clamps were situated so we figured this would cause much less drama in the garage.
Once the 6 were cut out I fit them against the sides and made sure the all matched (mostly.. it's not easy perfectly matching 6 hand cut boards). We then glued two together on each side as those will take most of the weight on the gas struts we will install and the remain two ribs will run down the center as shown.


Tomorrow is Saturday with a high of 107 degrees. Yay Texas! We're hoping to get a lot of work done on the hatch and the electrical. Fingers crossed we don't roast!

Time spent today: 7 hours (including 2 home depot trips)
Total time spent: 90 hours

No comments:

Post a Comment

Day 36: Finishing Touches II

We're still working on some little things. Built a plate holder and tiny silverware box for the cubby in the galley with extra 1/4"...